What is Granita?
Well…just think fancy snow cone!
Granita can be made with any liquid; just add sugar, season it with something else and then freeze that mixture. The frozen mixture is then scraped producing frozen crystals of flavored Granita.
Today, the flavor is strawberry!
- In a food processor, purée 2 cups of strawberries with 1 tablespoon of sugar until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup of mascarpone cheese, juice of 1 lime and a pinch of salt and purée til the mascarpone is fully incorporated.
- Add 1 cup of simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water simmered until the sugar dissolves) and process to blend. I elevated the sugar syrup by using an old restaurant trick of steeping mint in the syrup, creating a mint simple syrup.
- Pour the strawberry purée into a 9×9 glass dish and freeze.
- To serve, scrape the Granita with a sturdy ice scooper, spoon or fork and serve in chilled glasses. Garnish with fruit and mint.