As September allows us to bid farewell to summer and gives us time to jar what is left of the season, a cold and rainy October in NY demands food that is a bit more hearty.
We are into soup season!
Lentil Soup with Beef
- Carrots, onions and garlic (you can add celery if you like)
- Beef stew ( I used two fatty rib steaks and just cubed them)
- Olive oil, chicken stock, water & herbs
- Leftover rind of Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet. Add the beef cubes and cook til nicely browned.
- Add the diced vegetables and stir. Cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lentils and cover with chicken stock and some water. Season with salt and pepper. Add freshly chopped herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary) and a piece of rind from leftover Parmigiano-Reggiano. Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat, skim the fat after about 15 minutes and continue cooking until the lentils are tender and the soup has thickened. Serve!
NB: Vegetarians can enjoy this soup by eliminating the beef and substituting vegetable broth for the chicken stock.